10 Reasons to Tree Removal
Unmasking the Top Advantages of Tree Removal
Have you noticed overgrown trees in your yard that block sunlight or brush against your home?
Tree removal, also called crown reduction, involves selective removal of branches to improve tree health and appearance.
An experienced arborist assesses each tree’s condition and needs to determine appropriate tree trimming and tree care.
Read on to learn the top 10 reasons to tree removal and why you may need this tree maintenance tree service.
Overgrown Trees Cause Issues
Untrimmed trees can cause several problems for property owners:
- Block sunlight – Reduces sunlight reaching your home and yard, limiting garden growth. Creates dark, shady areas conducive to mould.
- Obstruct views – Spoils aesthetic appeal of landscapes. Blocks sightlines increasing risk of accidents near roadways.
- Damage to property – Branches rubbing on roofs and walls remove paint and shingles over time. Can dent gutters.
- Drop debris – Leaves, flowers, branches and bark falling on cars, pools, lawns. Creates mess and clogs drains.
- Raise fire risk – Dense foliage catches embers increasing risk of bushfires spreading to your home.
- Safety hazard – Old, damaged branches hang dangerously over homes. At risk of falling and injuring people or damaging property.
- Hide hazards – Obscures obstacles like low tree limbs that pedestrians could walk into and trip over, especially near power lines.
Professional Tree Removal
Tree removal by qualified arborists solves these issues. It:
- Removes problematic overgrowth
- Thins dense branching for improved sunlight and airflow
- Reduces hazards like falling branches and hidden obstacles
- Prevents damage to property
- Improves aesthetics by shaping trees
A skilled arborist determines ideal places to prune each tree with their pruning shears. They assess:
- Tree health and structure
- The species’ growth habits
- Surrounding structures
- Desired clearance space
- Aesthetic goals
This expertise maximises the benefits of removal while minimising stress to trees and keeping trees healthy.
10 Benefits of Tree Removal
Here are 10 top reasons to hire professional tree loppers or a tree removal service to lop overgrown trees:
1. Improves Sunlight
Removal opens up dense branching to allow more sunlight reach your home. Sunlight:
- Lowers humidity and risk of mould developing
- Warms your home naturally to reduce heating bills
- Enables better growth for gardens and landscaping
Well-lit homes also have less darkened corners conducive to cobwebs and dust buildup.
2. Enhances Curb Appeal
Overgrown trees appear unruly. Tree pruning and removal shapes them for an attractive look that complements your home’s architecture and landscape design.
This curb appeal can increase your home’s value by up to 20% according to Arboriculture Australia.
3. Reduces Risk of Bushfire Damage
The Australian Institute of Architects recommends tree removal to create a defendable space against bushfires.
- Removes vegetation close to structures
- Thins dense branching to prevent fire spreading via leaves
- Prunes low branches people could get trapped under when fleeing fires
Lopped trees are less likely to catch and spread embers to your home.
4. Prevents Damage to Property
Removal removes branches that could rub and scrape against your home over time. This prevents:
- Paint and shingle damage
- Moss buildup on roofs from moisture and shade
- Gutter denting or clogging with debris
The reduced foliage also means less plant matter falling on structures during storms or even risk for pest infestations.
5. Improves Air Circulation
Dense branching prevents air circulating.
Professional tree pruning and removal thinly spaces branches to allow airflow. This:
- Lowers humidity and moisture that causes mould and fungi
- Increases ventilation to prevent condensation issues
- Assists treatment penetrance if trees need spraying
Better circulation also lowers risk of disease and infestations.
6. Reduces Risk of Falling Branches
Old, damaged branches can fall and cause damage to property or injury.
An arborist identifies and removes these hazards through removal. It:
- Removes cracked, dying and dead wood
- Alleviates weight bearing down on weak branches
- Thins growth to allow wind to pass rather than catching branches
This makes the tree and surrounding areas safer.
7. Improves Accessibility
Low branches can obstruct walkways and block vision at intersections, especially around power lines.
Removal raises the tree’s canopy to:
- Keep footpaths, doorways and driveways clear
- Allow pedestrians to pass under without ducking
- Enable better sightlines at corners for road safety
The improved accessibility reduces local hazards.
8. Lets More Light Into Your Home
Tree removal removes branches blocking windows.
This allows more natural light indoors to:
- Reduce reliance on electric lighting
- Create a brighter interior appearance
- Give houseplants the light they need to thrive
- Limit darkened corners where dust accumulates
Sunlight streaming into your home has both practical advantages and creates a warmer ambience.
9. Opens Up Your Outlook
Do trees spoil what could be pleasant views from your windows or garden?
Sensitive removal can selectively open up sightlines and vistas blocked by overgrown trees.
Frame views to water, gardens or other focal points to enjoy attractive outlooks.
10. Improves Health of Tree
While removal removes tree material, it benefits the tree if done properly. Well-planned removal by a skilled arborist:
- Removes unhealthy branches
- Allows more air and sunlight penetration
- Reduces the load on remaining branches
- Can stimulate new growth in bare areas
- Achieves desirable form and structure
This improves tree health, safety, longevity and aesthetics.
Still Unsure? Consult an Arborist
Tree removal provides numerous benefits when performed by qualified arborists assessing your trees’ needs.
If you are still unsure whether removal is right for your situation, an experienced arborist can advise during an on-site consultation.
They will inspect your trees and explain suitable options to meet your goals, whether removal certain branches or tree removal altogether.
Take advantage of their extensive training and experience. Get tailored advice on appropriate solutions for the tree species, locations and issues involved while minimising risk of damage.
Does removal damage trees?
Removal does not damage trees when performed correctly by a skilled arborist. They assess health and needs to selectively prune where most beneficial. It can prolong life by removing unhealthy limbs.
When is the best time for removal?
The best time is late winter while trees are dormant. Avoid spring growth seasons.
How much does tree removal cost?
Costs range from $200 – $1000 depending on the tree’s size, accessibility and branches to trim. Get quotes from certified arborists.
How often should removal be done?
Frequency depends on the tree species and its growing environment. An experienced arborist recommends suitable schedules, often every 3-7 years.
What permission is needed?
If tree branches cross property boundaries, discuss with your neighbour. Some trees are protected by council, so check if approval is required.
Can removal kill a tree?
Severely removal main branches removes foliage that trees need. But judicious thinning by an arborist will not kill healthy trees.
Tree removal, when done properly by knowledgeable arborists, provides major benefits.
It improves tree health and aesthetics while reducing risks to property and people.
With so many advantages, tree removal is a wise investment to enhance your property’s safety and beauty for years to come.
Consult certified arborists to determine if your trees would benefit from strategic removal performed with care to maximise rewards.
Their expertise ensures you reap the full potential of this valuable tree care service.